Hershey has always had a strong culture and sense of community. It’s what makes our town so special. Whether you grew up in Derry Township or moved here a year ago, our community pride is what ties us all together.
Since our recreation center was built in 1963, our community and its recreation needs have grown. The new Hershey Community Center is the vision of our residents. It will serve us and generations to come.
The new Hershey Community Center, which will open in the spring of 2020, will provide additional recreational and social opportunities. It will give residents of all ages more room to swim, participate in classes, hold community meetings and enjoy socializing together. It will also provide a home for our local senior center and offer expanded programs for our students after school.
We listened to residents and results of a needs analysis to shape the key components of the new facility including:
- Increased square footage from approximately 40,000 to 110,000 square feet
- Multi-purpose space for recreation programs and community use, including classrooms and flexible large group meeting space
- A 50-meter dividable indoor pool for competitive swimming. Increased aquatic programming and water availability for the community, as well as Hershey High Swimming, Diving, and the Hershey Aquatic Club.
- New outdoor and leisure pool
- Multi-purpose gymnasium
- Indoor running track
- Fitness center including exercise rooms & studios
- Dedicated space for the Senior Center
- Child watch services
- Dedicated space for a robust after school program
- Party Room on pool deck for celebrating special occasions.