The construction of a new community center provides far more than just increased recreational opportunities. There are considerable economic and other material benefits to the community. These benefits include:
- Much-needed multifunction space that can be used for recreational programs and also used by community groups for their meetings and programs, or rented by community members.
- Including the Senior Center as a part of the project makes the center a community hub and creates the opportunity for inter-generational programming and learning.
- The ability to finally address the gap in the availability of after school programming – especially for middle school students.
- Further collaboration and sharing of space between the Department of Parks and Recreation and the Hershey Public Library allows for expansion of services of both departments.
- Increased availability of aquatic space due to the inclusion of a 25-yard, 10-lane pool.
- Increased availability for recreational lap swimming for community members.
- Increased availability for the Hershey High School swim and diving teams.
- The ability to host swim meets, diving and synchronized swimming events, Special Olympics, basketball, volleyball, pickleball and other aquatic and athletic events.